Wednesday, May 23, 2007

I AM - Bible Study Lesson Six


How current is your God? Is he up to date on all your issues or do you have old hurts you still hold behind your back?
God has become current in my life, but it has been a long road of restoration in my life, I have had to step out of the comfortable the well known into a place where if I don’t hold tight the Masters hand I will surely fall, I stand in awe of who my God is in my life daily.
2. Has the enemy ever told you there are situations that are 'old news' that are better left stuffed down? Or perhaps because they were so long ago they can't possibly be affecting you now?
Until recently the enemy has made me almost think that my hurt was my right, that I could hold on to it justify it, my hurt became my comfort, if my hurt was not around I thought something was wrong, WHAT a LIE the enemy never wants you to walk into freedom as long as he has you believing its better to hold on to that hurt the longer he keeps you from fulfilling your destiny.
3. In the matter of established authority, does God truly reign in your life? Where are you when He calls your name?
I am believing that I am right here where the Father wants me when He calls but as I am human all I can do is hold on to the trust that because by faith I am where he wants me to be, I will hear Him when He calls. That my ears are near the Fathers breast that I will be able to hear the voice of Abba calling and showing me the way I should go.
4. Do you ever feel God has forgotten you in your 'west side of the wilderness'?
In all honesty, yes I have felt that way as I believed the giants standing in front of me teasing me instead of focusing on the Father and walking out of the wilderness and into the Promised Land.
5. Have you ever experienced a time of cleansing where God has illuminated and rejuvenated you? If not, do you find you are in need of this now?
Yes when we left ministry 4 years ago it was a time of cleansing for me, it has been a time where I could met God anew not out of what I need from Him or what I could do for Him, but a place where I have learnt to take a Sabbath rest to find my Father in that quite place, where I could find rest for my soul. It has been a time of great restoration and a time of finding my true identity in Him not in been a preachers wife now with the door open to go back into ministry, I am humbled by the future not walking in pride. As we face the challenges that lay ahead the preparation I am in no hurry to step out ahead of God but to constantly just walking in the Fathers footsteps.

11 comments:

Lisa @ The Preacher's Wife said...

Hi Deborah!

I loved your responses to these questions...As I was writing I was so afraid what I was feeling wouldn't translate but you've shown me that the Holy Spirit is in charge of that work! Bless you dear friend!!

Lisa

Mindy said...

Deborah -
I can totally identify with you on the hurt in our lives. We want to believe it is OUR RIGHT (we are entitled to) our hurts. I've been learning to not let the devil say I can get stuck in my hurts but instead to give them to HIM.....and remember that Jesus was hurt by most and still sacrificed to save even them....hard model to follow but I want to try!
AND - I can also identify with my identity being the "preacher's wife" -- We are now in our second place God has called us to serve and I don't want to be who "the people" expect me to be (the politics of it all) but rather who GOD expects me to be.....will they fall in line with one another? IF everyone is seeking the Lord - I believe so....
bless you sweet friend!
In HIM -
Mindy

Denise said...

May you be greatly blessed everyday of yourlife dear one.

Cyndee@Riezzee's Place said...

Deborah - I am so glad you are doing this study! I echo those above - that it is my right to hold onto the hurt. What silliness is this! If everything was fair and right - we would all die and never see heaven.

I thought that this would only be an american idea with our "rights" to whatever. Thank you for reminding me to not be a victim and to let go.

Cyndee

Miriam Pauline said...

Thank you for your honesty on these questions. I appreciated it greatly. Blessings.

Connie Barris said...

isn't it just great to not have to walk the road in haste any longer but take a stroll ....

I love this study and appreciate your honesty...

blessings
Connie

Etta said...

I can identify with the refreshing that happens when God takes you, even temporarily, out of vocational ministry. A few years ago we left a church position to work secular jobs and do an apartment ministry. It was so nice to be a church member instead of a staff family. It really helps to be able to see things from a "lay" person's perspective and refreshes to go back into vocational ministry.

Gretchen said...

Boy, Deborah, I really thought you were so insightful on #2! It's so true that the enemy does want us to use our pain as a mask to freedom. How enpowering it is to look to the Lord for His grace in our times of need. We can let go and move on with Him.

BTW, great blog.

Nise' said...

For the longest time I didn't even know that what I was dealing with was the enemy's lies! What freedom it brought when I learned to recognize the lies! I am quicker to counteract them with the truth.

Crystal said...

I also know what it's like feeling like it's my right to be hurt but God has been faithful in not letting me wallow.....Thanks for sharing honestly about what God is doing in your life!
Blessings

Susanne said...

Thanks for your honesty in this post. I am one (like you) that has let the enemy lie to me for far too long! It is so wonderful to finally break free of those lies and begin to live in the abundance that God intended for me. I am so excited about what the future holds for my life, but I am learning to live day by day, and let God truly be my I AM!! I love you sweet friend, and am blessed by your presence!