Wednesday, July 25, 2007

GODS LITTLE SUPRISE FOR ME


Last night as I was getting ready for bed I was restless in my spirit, I have been pondering a lot on the word lately and found myself think about how many times we have read the bible from cover to cover, and never seem to really take hold of what God is saying or that we read it and the very next moment we don’t even remember reading it let alone making part of our hearts and yet last night looking at something we discussed in our home group I continued to read and came across a passage of scripture which I have never seen, I cant always understand why this is the case, as I did bible school way back when, one of the assignments we had was to read the entire bible in one year and even when Fred and I studied theology before going into ministry we were challenged once again to read through the entire bible and have so done a couple of times in our walk with God. Yet God just never ceases to amaze me by His word and the revelation He gives when you least expect it.
I love to pray and without trying to sound super spiritual I love to pray the word as I know there is more power in praying the word of God into any situation we face. There is something that we do as a family every time one of us takes a trip and that is pray and ask God to commission the angles to guard us on the journey and have prayed that they go ahead of us to prepare the road. Yet I only had this scripture to base our family prayer on, but God in all His majesty had a little surprise waiting for me last night!

Psalm 91:11 “for He will command His angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.”

This is a scripture that I think gets used so very often, and its His command that sends them to guard us, well last night I read this portion of scripture that I will give below and it just reaffirmed what we have been praying all along has been very scriptural indeed but above that I love it when after more then 25years of serving God, He just gives me such a wonderful present in His word a new revelation of a scripture I have read I know but have never taken hold of.

Exodus 23:20 “See, I am sending an angel ahead of you to guard you along the way and to bring you to the place I have prepared.”

It’s so wonderful that we have a God that is so aware of what we are doing and how He wants the road ahead of us already prepared.

What is God showing you in scripture today that you can make your own?
Care to share it with us?


Love always me

3 comments:

Mindy said...

God gives me things every day. I think it is amazing how as we grow in HIM, he gives us more and more understanding each time we read a verse until we are at as much of HIS understanding as we can have.
I love that verse about angels watching over us!
I like to think about those angels and I am thankful for them because I also think they are fighting the good fight for us! WOW!
Thanks for this!
In HIM -
Mindy

Susanne said...

Girl, I just LOVE you SO much!! Thank you for this word, HIS WORD, that you have shared here. God is so awesome, and it's so cool when we get to see glimpses of his handiwork!! Always remember that you are a masterpiece in the making dear one!!
God is teaching me so much, but right now the main thing is BE STILL!! Just love Him, praise Him, and serve Him with each and every day...and He will work out all the details (Matthew 6:33).
Love ya Dolla!!

Gretchen said...

I just love stopping by, and have missed doing so regularly. I wish South Africa was closer to Seattle, so I could run over for some coffee and a hug or two. NOt to mention a Bible Study. :)

I guess the 2 verses that teach me over and over (because, sometimes, I'm a slow learner due to PRIDE or just stubbornness). Are in Matthew.

Matt 11:28-30 (NIV) "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light."

These verses speak to me so much because they help me through any sort of anxiety and depression, as well as reminding me to rest in Him. Learn from Him. Learn gentleness. Learn humility. I can use a dose of both of those on a daily basis.

The other is re: judging others, because, unfortunately, this is an area which God is also needing to refine me, big time.

Matt 7:3-5(NIV) "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

Thanks, Dolla, for gettin' me into the Word so early in the a.m. This was my devotional today. :)

xxxooogretchen