Monday, May 28, 2007

MARRIAGE MONDAY





Marriage Monday Topic,
I found this on Christines blog and loved it please visit it and let me know if you took part so I can see what you do on vacation...gee I am a busy body!!!!!

Do you take vacations as a family, with just your husband, or both?

We take vacations as a family, we realise that in a few years it will just be hubby and me, so we really take time out to be with our kidz.



What are those vacations like? Do they wear you out or refresh you?

Well we like to do fun things like ice skating and because we live close to the ocean I guess we are centered around the sea when it comes to holidays. so some are refreshing others are outright draining.



Do you schedule regular date nights? If so, do you talk about your children (if you have them) or have a children-free-conversation rule?

Yes we do, every afternoon when my beloved gets home the coffee tray is set with our special cups and a biscuit or two, and for the first half an hour it is our time where we catch up on the day and what is happening in our lifes, our date night is friday night as kids are at youth and we can go for a romantic dinner or dvd night depends on how busy we have been, this has been our saving grace in our marriage.



Do you have family out of town and if so, how often do you visit them? Is it stressful or relaxing to visit?
Yes we do have family out of town and we see them maybe once a year, its fun time but if we stay too long it can be stressful. Our children are free to live their lives in the safety of their home and I think that sometimes when with family that are older and set in their ways it can become difficult.



How do all these things affect your marriage relationship?
Beloved and I have a good relationship based on communication, and as long as those lines are open it doesnt have too much of an effect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Deborah,
Its so lovely to read about a healthy marriage and a happy family, it does seem to be a minority these days. You seem to have reached that balance that's so hard to achieve, so thanks for sharing this. It's been good to drop by today will definitely be back! Thanks too for checking out my blog too,
Dellie :0)

Sharon Brumfield said...

Thanks for visiting my blog. I normally participate in Marriage Monday but I saw she put it off till next week because they are all sick. So save your post and put it up again next week. There will be lots of other women participating.
I am going to tag you.
It is a good MEME. Come check out my post.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Deborah & thanks so much for stopping by to see me. I love meeting new Christian women, so I'll take a look around. What a wonderful post about marriage. Hope you have a great week!

Rhoda
Southern Hospitality

Gretchen said...

Do you take vacations as a family, with just your husband, or both?

We take vacations as a family, only we call them "trips". LOL! A trip is where you enjoy each other and are busy--not really relaxing, but a vacation--not now. We'll take a weekend here or there just the 2 of us. We'll have plenty of time to relax and chill after the kids are raised. And then, I suspect, we'll want them back. Perhaps that will coincide with grandchildren? :)


What are those vacations like? Do they wear you out or refresh you? I am both worn out/tired of my family at the end of these trips and refreshed in our solidarity as a unit. True rest is only when they go back to school. :) We have been fortunate to go many places, from Maui to Holland with our children. Now that they're nearly 9 and 11, they still like us and are easy to travel with, so we must strike while the iron is hot, so to speak. We live in the Pacific Northwest (Washington), so we have a number of fun places to go for day trips, too. My faves are anything to do w/beaches. Sandy beaches. Rocky beaches. Loooove beaches. :)

Do you schedule regular date nights? If so, do you talk about your children (if you have them) or have a children-free-conversation rule?

Wow, what a wonderful connection you must have!

We have a date night approximately 1-2 times a month or every 3 weeks or so. It's expensive because of the sitter, but so worth it. I'm 38 and my husband is nearly 40, and we've been together since I was 15, so we've HAD to have some alone time to grow up together! Lord knows we've changed along the way, and we needed to keep in sync with each other's changes. Another thing we do is just cuddle for the first snooze or 2 on the alarm in the morning. It allowas a few minutes of either peace or a bit of chat before the day gets into full swing. My beloved and I are unequally yoked, but our mutual admiration and respect has allowed God to work in our marriage.


Do you have family out of town and if so, how often do you visit them? Is it stressful or relaxing to visit?

We do have family out of town. We want our children and their grandparents to have a relationship together, but that said, it's difficult. Fortunately, my husband and I are on the same page re: our family, so we can giggle with each other at the end of the day and make our visits as short and sweet as possible. The visits are also an opportunity for our children to see how to treat their parents. Only, I hope they won't have the same sense of obligation that we have. I hope it will be more joyful than that. We're certainly working hard to foster that sense of closeness.

How do all these things affect your marriage relationship?

I am married to my best friend. God has been so good to me. Our marriage is far from perfect, but it works, and when it doesn't we communicate about the necessary changes. God is good! I couldn't do it without him because I'm always right and quite prideful.

Blessings!

eph2810 said...

Thank you for sharing a little about your marriage relationship.
I so agree, it is important to keep the communication line open. We are so busy sometimes that we don't take time for each other. We do make a point though to talk often.
Over the last 5 years my Sweetheart and I have taken vacations on our own. Our son no longer desires to be with his parents. Although it is a little sad, but I do understand.

Anonymous said...

I think it is so precious to have such a special marriage. My hisband and I have been married for almost 18 years and still very much in love. I believe in making a date night with him or even a lunch date. It keeps a persons marriage great. Keep up the encouragement Debs its really very special to go to your blog site. How special when you have had a hard day to read such positive things.

Your Friend
Mish from Malawi